- Bastien-Henri, S., Park, A., Ashton, M. & Messier, C. 2010, "Biomass distribution among tropical tree species grown under differing regional climates", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 260, no. 3, pp. 403-410.
- Breugel, M.V., Hall, J.S., Craven, D.J., Gregoire, T.C., Park, A., Dent, D.H., Wishnie, M.H., Mariscal, E., Deago, J., Ibarra, D., Cedeno, N. & Ashton, M.S. 2011, "Early growth and survival of 49 tropical tree species across sites differing in soil fertility and rainfall in Panama", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 261, no. 10, pp. 1580-1589.
- Coll, L., Potvin, C., Messier, C. & Delagrange, S. 2008, "Root architecture and allocation patterns of eight native tropical species with different successional status used in open-grown mixed plantations in Panama", Trees - Structure and Function, vol. 22, no. 4, pp. 585-596.
- Condit, R., Hubbell, S. P. & Fostera, R. B. 1993, "Identifying fast-growing native trees from the Neotropics using data from a large, permanent census plot", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 62, no. 1-4, pp. 123-143.
- Coomes, O.T., Grimard, F., Potvin, C. & Sima, P. 2008, "The Fate of the Tropical Forest: Carbon or Cattle?", Ecological Economics, vol. 65, no. 2, pp. 207-212.
- Craven, D. et al. 2015. Changing gears during succession: shifting functional strategies in young tropical secondary forests. Oecologia, vol. 179 no. 1, pp.1-13
- Craven, D., Braden, D., Ashton, M.S., Berlyn, G.P., Wishnie, M. & Dent, D. 2007, "Between and within-site comparisons of structural and physiological characteristics and foliar nutrient content of 14 tree species at a wet, fertile site and a dry, infertile site in Panama", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 238, no. 1-3, pp. 335-346.
- Craven, D., Hall, J. & Verjans, J. 2009, "Impacts of Herbicide Application and Mechanical Cleanings on Growth and Mortality of Two Timber Species in Saccharum spontaneum Grasslands of the Panama Canal Watershed", Restoration Ecology, vol. 17, no. 6, pp. 751-761.
- Delagrange, S., Potvin, C., Messier, C. & Coll, L. 2008, "Linking multiple-level tree traits with biomass accumulation in native tree species used for reforestation in Panama", Trees - Structure and Function, vol. 22, no. 3, pp. 337-349.
- Dewalt, S. J., Maliakal, S. K., & Denslow, J. S. (2003). Changes in vegetation structure and composition along a tropical forest chronosequence: Implications for wildlife. Forest Ecology and Management, 182(1-3), 139-151.
- Fischer, A., & Liette Vasseur. 2002, "Smallholder perceptions of agroforestry projects in Panama." Agroforestry systems vol. 54, no. 2, pp. 103-113.
- Garen, E.J., Saltonstall, K., Slusser, J.L., Mathias, S., Ashton, M.S. & Hall, J.S. 2009, "An evaluation of farmers' experiences planting native trees in rural Panama: implications for reforestation with native species in agricultural landscapes", Agroforestry Systems, vol. 76, no. 1, pp. 219-236.
- Garen, Eva J., Saltonstall, Kristin, Ashton, Mark S., Slusser, Jacob L., Mathias, Shane, & Hall, Jefferson S. 2011, "The tree planting and protecting culture of cattle ranchers and small-scale agriculturalists in rural Panama: Opportunities for reforestation and land restoration", Forest Ecology and Management, vol.261, no.10, pp. 1684-1695.
- Griess, V. & Knoke, T. 2010, "Can native tree species plantations in Panama compete with Teak plantations? An economic estimation", New Forests, , pp. 1-27.
- Griscom, H.P. & Ashton, M.S. 2011, "Restoration of dry tropical forests in Central America: A review of pattern and process", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 261, no. 10, pp. 1564-1579.
- Griscom, H.P., Ashton, P.M.S. & Berlyn, G.P. 2005, "Seedling survival and growth of native tree species in pastures: Implications for dry tropical forest rehabilitation in central Panama", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 218, no. 1-3, pp. 306-318.
- Griscom, H.P., Connelly, A.B., Ashton, M.S., Wishnie, M.H, & Deago, J. 2011, "The Structure and Composition of a Tropical Dry Forest Landscape After Land Clearance; Azuero Peninsula, Panama" Journal of Sustainable Forestry, vol. 30, no. 8, pp. 756-774.
- Guariguata, M. R., & Ostertag, R. (2001) "Neotropical secondary forest succession: Changes in structural and functional characteristics," Forest Ecology and Management, 148(1-3), 185–206.
- Hall, J.S., Love, B.E., Garen, E.J., Slusser, J.L., Saltonstall, K., Mathias, S., Breugel, M.V., Ibarra, D., Bork, E.W., Spaner, D., Wishnie, M.H. & Ashton, M.S. 2011, "Tree plantations on farms: Evaluating growth and potential for success", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 261, no. 10, pp. 1675-1683.
- Hauff, R.D. 1999, "A Case Study Assessment of Agroforestry: The Panama Canal Watershed", Journal of Sustainable Forestry, vol. 8, no. 3-4, pp. 39-51.
- Hooper, E., Condit, R. & Legendre, P. 2002, "Responses of 20 native tree species to reforestation strategies for abandoned farmland in Panama", Ecological Applications, vol. 12, no. 6, pp. 1626-1641.
- Hooper, E., Legendre, P. & Condit, R. 2005, "Barriers to forest regeneration of deforested and abandoned land in Panama", Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 42, no. 6, pp. 1165-1174.
- Hooper, E.R., Legendre, P. & Condit, R. 2004, "Factors affecting community composition of forest regeneration in deforested, abandoned land in Panama", Ecology, vol. 85, no. 12, pp. 3313-3326.
- Love, B., & Spaner, D. 2008, "A Survey of Small-Scale Farmers Using Trees in Pastures in Herrera Province, Panama", Journal of Sustainable Forestry, vol. 20, no. 3, pp. 37-65.
- Mariscal, E., Wishnie, M. & Deago, J., 2002, "Crecimiento Comparativo de Especies Nativas y Teca plantadas en parcelas puras y mixtas en áreas invadidas por la gramínea Saccharum spontaneum (L.) Gramineae, utilizando método de quema y sin quema: Informe del establecimiento del Ensayo", PRORENA Reporte ECO-07-01-Esp
- Park, A., van Breugel, M., Ashton, M.S., Wishnie, M., Mariscal, E., Deago, J., Ibarra, D., Cedeno, N., & Hall, J.S. 2010, "Local and regional environmental variation influences the growth of tropical trees in selection trials in the Republic of Panama", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 260, no. 1, pp. 12-21.
- Paul GS et al.
- Sautu, A., Baskin, J.M., Baskin, C.C. & Condit, R. 2006, "Studies on the seed biology of 100 native species of trees in a seasonal moist tropical forest, Panama, Central America", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 234, no. 1-3, pp. 245-263.
- Simmons, C., Walker, R. & Wood, C. 2002, "Tree planting by small producers in the tropics: A comparative study of Brazil and Panama", Agroforestry Systems, vol. 56, no. 2, pp. 89-105.
- Simmons, C.S. 1997, "Forest management practices in the Bayano region of Panama: Cultural variations" World Development, vol. 25, no. 6, pp. 989-1000.
- Wishnie, M.H., Dent, D.H., Mariscal, E., Deago, J., Cedeño, N., Ibarra, D., Condit, R. & Ashton, P.M.S. 2007, "Initial performance and reforestation potential of 24 tropical tree species planted across a precipitation gradient in the Republic of Panama", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 243, no. 1, pp. 39-49.
- Zeugin, F., Potvin, C., Jansa, J. & Scherer-Lorenzen, M. 2010, "Is tree diversity an important driver for phosphorus and nitrogen acquisition of a young tropical plantation?", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 260, no. 9, pp. 1424-1433.
ELTI is a joint initiative of: