Use of Nurse Trees (Exotic and Native) Resources
- Aerts, R., Negussie, A., Maes, W., November, E., Hermy, M. & Muys, B. 2007, "Restoration of Dry Afromontane forest using pioneer shrubs as nurse-plants for Olea europaea ssp. cuspidata", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 15, nos. 1, pp. 129-138.
- Aguirre, N., Günter, S., Weber, M. & Stimm, B. 2006, "Enrichment of Pinus patula plantations with native species in southern Ecuador", Lyonia, vol. 10, no. 1, pp. 33-45.
- Aide, T.M., Zimmerman, J.K., Pascarella, J.B., Rivera, L., & Marcano-Vega, H. 2000, "Forest Regeneration in a Chronosequence of Tropical Abandoned Pastures: Implications for Restoration Ecology", Restoration Ecology, vol. 8, no. 4, pp. 328-338.
- Alem, S. & Woldermariam, T. 2009, "A comparative assessment on regeneration status of indigenous woody plants in Eucalyptus grandis plantation and adjacent natural forest", Journal of Forestry Research, vol. 20, nos. 1, pp. 31-36.
- Appiah, M. 2012,"Changes in plant species composition within a planted forest in a deciduous agroecosystem in Ghana", Agroforestry Systems, vol. 85, pp. 57-74.
- Ashton, P.M.S., Gamage, S., Gunatilleke, I.A.U.N., and Gunatilleke, C.V.S. 1997, “Restoration of a Sri-Lankan rainforest: Using Caribbean Pine Pinus caribaea as a nurse for establishing late-successional tree species”, Journal of Applied Ecology, vol. 34, no. 4, pp. 915-925.
- Awanyo, L., Attuah, E.M. & McCarron, M. 2011, "Rehabilitation of forest-savannas in Ghana: The impacts of land use, shade, and invasive species on tree recruitment", Applied Geography, vol. 31, pp. 181-190.
- Baatuwie, N.B., Asare, N.A., Osei, E.M.J., & Quaye-Ballard, J.A. 2011, "The restoration of degraded forests in Ghana: a case study in the Offinso forest district", Agriculture and Biological Journal of North America, vol. 2, nos. 1, pp. 134-142.
- Beltrame, T.P., Rodrigues, E., 2008, "Comparação de diferentes densidades de feijão guandu (Cajanus cajan (L.) Millsp.) na restauração florestal de uma área de reserva legal no Pontal do Paranapanema, SP", Scientia Forestalis, vol. 36, no. 80, pp.317-327.
- Birkinshaw, C., Andrianjafy, & Rasolofonirina, J.-J. 2009, "Survival and growth of seedlings of 19 native tree and shrub species planted in degraded forest as part of a forest restoration project in Madagascar's highlands", Madagascar Conservation & Development, vol. 4, nos. 2, pp. 128-131.
- Blay, D., Appiah, M., Damnyag, L., Dwomoh, F.K., Luukkanen, O. & Pappinen, A. 2008, "Involving local farmers in rehabilitation of degraded tropical forests: some lessons from Ghana", Environment, Development and Sustainability, vol. 10, nos.4, pp. 503-518.
- Boakye, E.A. Gils, v.H. & Osei, E.M. 2012, "Does forest restoration using taungya foster tree species diversity? The case of Afram Headwaters Forest Reserve in Ghana", African Journal of Ecology, vol. 50, nos. 3, pp. 319-325.
- Bosire, J.O., Dahdouh-Guebas, F., Kairo, J.G. & Koedam, N. 2003, "Colonization of non-planted mangrove species into restored mangrove stands in Gazi Bay, Kenya", Aquatic Botany, vol. 76, nos. 4, pp. 267-279.
- Chamshama, S.A.O., Monela, G.C., Sekiete, K.E.A. & Persson, A. 1992, "Suitability of the taungya system at North Kilimanjaro Forest Plantation, Tanzania", Agroforestry Systems, vol. 17, nos. 1, pp. 1-11.
- Chapman, C.A. & Chapman, L.J. 1999, "Forest restoration in abandoned agricultural land a case study from East Africa", Conservation Biology, vol. 13, nos. 6, pp. 1301-1311.
- Chapman, C.A., Chapman, L.J., Zanne, A. & Burgess, M.A. 2002, "Does weeding promote regeneration of an indigenous tree community in felled pine plantations in Uganda", Restoration Ecology, vol. 10, nos. 2, pp. 408-415.
- Chapman, C.A., Kitajima, K., Zanne, A.E., Kaufman, L.S. & Lawes, M.J. 2008, "A 10-year evaluation of the functional basis for regeneration habitat preference of trees in an African evergreen forest", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 255, nos. 11, pp. 3790-3796.
- Diabate, M., Munive, A., de Faria, S.M., Ba, A., Dreyfus, B. & Galiana, A. 2005, "Occurrence of nodulation in unexplored leguminous trees native to the West African tropical rainforest and inoculation response of native species useful in reforestation", New Phytologist, vol. 166, pp. 231-239.
- Dugan, P. 2000. “Assisted natural regeneration: Methods, results and issues relevant
to sustained participation by communities” in Forest Restoration for Wildlife Conservation: Proceedings of a Workshop with the International Tropical Timber Organization and the Forest Restoration Research Unit, Chiang Mai University, Thailand, eds. Elliott, S., Kerby, J., Blakesley, D., Hardwick, K., Woods, K. and V. Anusarnsunthorn, pp. 195-199.
- Duncan, R.S. & Chapman, C.A. 2003, "Consequences of plantation harvest during tropical forest restoration in Uganda", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 173, nos. 13, pp. 235-250.
- Ehiagbonare, J.E. 2006, "Effect of Taungya on regeneration of endemic forest tree species in Nigeria: Edo State Nigeria as a case study", African Journal of Biotechnology, vol. 5, nos. 18, pp. 1608-1611.
- Elliott, S., Blakesley, D., Maxwell, J.F. et al. 2006, “Helping forests to help themselves—accelerating natural regeneration” in How to Plant a Forest: The Principles and Practice of Restoring Tropical Forests, The Forest Restoration Research Unit, Chiang Mai University, Thailand.
- Ewel, J. and Putz, F.E. (2004), "A place for alien species in ecosystem restoration," Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment 2: 354–360.
- Farwig, N., Sajita, N. & Bohning-Gaese, K. 2009, "High seedling recruitment of indigenous tree species in forest plantations in Kakamega Forest, western Kenya", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 257, nos. 1, pp. 143-150.
- Geldenhuys, C.J. 1997, "Native forest regeneration in pine and eucalypt plantations in Northern Province, South Africa", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 99, nos. 1-2, pp. 101-155.
- Ghazi, P., Barrow, E., Mlenge, W., & Monela, G. 2005, Regenerating woodlands: Tanzania’s HASHI Project, eds. R.SanGeorge, D.Jhirad , A.Hammond, & P.Angell, The World Resources, Washington, DC pp. 131-138.
- Hartter, J., Southworth, J. & Binford, M. 2010, "Parks as a mechanism to maintain and facilitate recovery of forest cover: examining reforestation, forest maintenance and productivity in Uganda in reforesting landscapes:linking pattern and process, eds. H. Nagendra & Southworth, J, Springer Nertherlands, pp. 275-296.
- Healey, S.P., & Gara, R.I. 2003, "The effect of a teak (Tectona grandis) plantation on the establishment of native species in an abandoned pasture in Costa Rica", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 176, n. 1-3, pp. 497-507.
- Hofstede, R.G.M., Groenendijk, J.P., Coppus, R., Fehse, J.C., Sevink, J., 2002. "Impact of pine plantations on soils and vegetation in the Ecuadorian high Andes." Mountain Research and Development, vol. 22, no. 2, pp. 159-167.
- Honu, Y.A.K. & Dang, Q.L. 2000, "Responses of tree seedlings to the removal of Chromolaena odorata Linn. in a degraded forest in Ghana", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 137, nos. 1-3, pp. 75-82.
- Hundera, K. 2010, "Status of indigenous tree species regeneration under exotic plantations in Belete forest, South West Ethiopia", Ethiopian Journal of Education and Sciences, vol. 5, nos. 2, pp. 19-28.
- Kairo, J.G. 2007, "Sustainable management of mangrove resources through a participatory approach-Kenya" in Examples of successful experiences in coastal community development, Sharing Innovative Experiences, pp. 97-108.
- Kansenene, J.M. 2007, "Impact of exotic plantations and harvesting methods on the regeneration of indigenous tree species in Kibale forest, Uganda", African Journal of Ecology, vol. 45, suppl. 1, pp. 41-47.
- Lamb, D. 2011, Regreening the Bare Hills. Tropical forest restoration in the Asia-Pacific Region. Series: World Forests, Vol. 8, Springer.
- Lawson, G.J. 1994, "Indigenous trees in West African forest plantations: the need for domestication by clonal techniques" in: Leakey, R. R. B.; Newton, A. C.,
(eds.) Tropical trees: the potential for domestication and rebuilding of forest resources. London, HMSO, pp. 112-123.
- Le Houerou, H.N. 2000, "Restoration and rehabilitation of arid and semiarid Mediterranean ecosystems in North Africa and West Asia: A review", Arid Soil Research and Rehabilitation, vol. 14, pp. 3-14.
- Lejju, J.B., Oryem-Origa, H. & Kansenene, J.M. 2001, "Regeneration of indigenous trees in Mgahinga Gorilla National Park, Uganda", African Journal of Ecology, vol. 39, nos. 1, pp. 65-73.
- Lemenih, M., & Teketay, D. 2005. "Effect of prior land use on the recolonization of native woody species under plantation forests in the highlands of Ethiopia", Forest ecology and management, vol. 218, no. 1, pp. 60-73.
- Lemenih, M., Gidyelew, T. & Teketay, D. 2004, "Effects of canopy cover and understory environment of tree plantations on richness, density and size of colonizing woody species in southern Ethiopia", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 194, nos. 1-3, pp. 1-10.
- Loumeto, J.J. & Huttel, C. 1997, "Understory vegetation in fast-growing tree plantations on savanna soils in Congo", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 99, nos. 1-2, pp. 65-81.
- Lovejoy, T. A. 1985. Rehabilitation of degraded tropical forest lands. The Environmentalist 5:1–8.
- Lwanga, J.S. 2003, "Forest succession in Kibale National Park, Uganda: implications for forest restoration and management", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 41, nos. 1, pp. 9-22.
- Marien, J.N. et al. 2014, 'Les plantations forestières en afrique centrale: des sylvicultures nouvelles pour répondre aux nouveaux besoins des sociétés' Les forêts du Bassin du Congo-Etat des forêts 2013, pp.197-212.
- Memorias del I Congreso Colombiano de Restauración Ecológica. (2011). Orlando Vargas Ríos y Sandra Paola Reyes B. (Editores). Grupo de Restauración Ecológica, Universidad Nacional de Colombia / Red Colombiana de Restauración Ecológica / ACCEFYN.
- Meza Sánchez, R., Ruiz Espinoza, F. & Navejas Jiménez, J., 2009, "Guía para la producción de planta y plantación con especies nativas", Centro de Investigación Regional Noroeste Campo Experimental Todos Los Santos, La Paz, México.
- Omeja, P.A., Chapman, C.A. & Obua, J. 2009, "Enrichment planting does not improve tree restoration when compared with natural regeneration in a former pine plantation in Kibale National Park, Uganda", African Journal of Ecology, vol. 47, nos. 4, pp. 650-657.
- Omeja, P.A., Chapman, C.A., Obua, J., Lwanga, J.S., Jacob, A.L., Wanyama, F. & Mugenyi, R. 2011, "Intensive tree planting facilitates tropical forest biodiversity and biomass accumulation in Kibale National Park, Uganda", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 261, nos. 3, pp. 703-709.
- Omeja, P.A., Lwanga, J.S., Obua, J. & Chapman, C.A. 2011, "Fire control as a simple means of promoting tropical forest restoration", Tropical Conservation Science, vol. 4, nos. 3, pp. 287-299.
- Omoro, L.M.A. & Luukkannen, O. 2011, "Native Tree Species Regeneration and Diversity in the Mountain Cloud Forests of East Africa", Biodiversity Loss in a Changing Planet, PhD. Oscar Grillo (Ed.), ISBN: 978-953-307-707-9, InTech, pp. 241-256.
- Otsamo, R. 1998, "Effect of nurse tree species on early growth of Anisoptera marginata Korth.
(Dipterocarpaceae) on an Imperata cylindrica (L.) Beauv. grassland site in South Kalimantan,
Indonesia", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 105, no. 1-3, pp. 303-311.
- Otsamo, R., Otsamo, A. & Adjers, G. 1996, "Reforestation experiences with dipterocarp species on grassland" in Dipterocarp Forest Ecosystems: Towards Sustainable Management, eds. A. Schulte & D. Schone, World Scientific, Singapore, pp. 411-445.
- Pareliussen, I., Olsson, E.G. & Armbruster, W.S. 2006, "Factors limiting the survival of native tree seedlings used in conservation efforts at the edges of forest fragments in Upland Madagascar", Restoration Ecology, vol. 14, nos. 2, pp. 196-203.
- Parrotta, J.A., Turnbull, J.W., and Jones, N. 1997, "Catalyzing native forest regeneration on degraded tropical lands", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 99, no. 1-2, pp. 1-7.
- Petit, Bryan; Montagnini, Florencia. 2006.Growth in pure and mixed plantations of tree species used in reforesting rural areas of the humid region of Costa Rica, Central America. Forest Ecology and Management 233 (338-343).
- Primavera, J. H., M. dela Cruz, C. Montilijao, H. Consunji, M. dela Paz, R. N. Rollon, K. Maranan, M. S. Samson, and A. Blanco. 2016. Preliminary assessment of post-Haiyan mangrove damage and short-term recovery in Eastern Samar, central Philippines. Marine Pollution Bulletin vol 109, p.p. 744-750.
- Ren H., Yang L., Liu N., 2007. "Nurse plant theory and its application in ecological restoration in lower subtropics of China." Progress in Natural Science, vol. 18, pp. 137-142.
- Rocky, J. & Mligo, C. 2012, "Regeneration pattern and size-class distribution of indigenous woody species in exotic plantation in Pugu forest reserve, Tanzania", International Journal of Biodiversity and Conservation, vol. 4, nos. 1, pp. 1-14.
- Santiago-García, R.J., Molina Colón, S., Sollins, P. & Van Bloem, S.J. 2008, "The Role of Nurse Trees in Mitigating Fire Effects on Tropical Dry Forest Restoration: A Case Study", Ambio, vol. 37, no. 7-8, pp. 604-608.
- Schroeder, J.-M., Oke, D.O., Onyekwelu, J.C., & Yirdaw, E. 2010, 18 secondary forests in West Africa:a challenge and opportunity for management, IUFRO World Series Vol.25, International Union of Forest Research Organizations (IUFRO).
- Senbeta, F., Teketay, D. & Naslund, B.-A. 2002, "Native woody species regeneration in exotic tree plantations at Munessa-Shashemene Forest, southern Ethiopia", New Forests, vol. 24, nos. 2, pp. 131-145.
- Sharam, G., Sinclair, A.R.E. & Turkington, R. 2006, "Establishment of Broad-leaved Thickets in Serengeti, Tanzania: The Influence of Fire, Browsers, Grass Competition, and Elephants", Biotropica, vol.38, nos.5, pp. 599-605.
- Sharam,G.J., Sinclair, A.R.E, Turkington, R. & Jacob, A.L. 2009, "The savanna tree Acacia polyacantha facilitates the establishment of riparian forests in Serengeti National Park, Tanzania", Journal Tropical Ecology, vol. 25, pp. 31-40.
- Sharew, H., Legg, C. J. & Grace, J. 1997, "Effects of ground preparation and microenvironment on germination and natural regeneration of Juniperus procera and Afrocarpus gracilior in Ethiopia", Forest Ecology and Environment, vol. 93, nos. 3, pp. 215-225.
- Shibayama, T., Ashton, M.S., Singhakumara, B., Griscom, H.P., Ediriweera, S. & Griscom, B.W. 2006, "Effects of fire on the recruitment of rain forest vegetation beneath Pinus caribaea plantations, Sri Lanka", Forest Ecology and Management, vol. 226, no. 1-3, pp. 357-363.
- Strobl, S., Fetene, M. & Beck, E.H. 2011, "Analysis of the "shelter tree-effect" of natural and exotic forest canopies on the growth of young Podocarpus falcatus trees in southern Ethiopia", Trees, vol. 25, pp. 769-783.
- Vieira, D. L., Holl, K. D., & Peneireiro, F. M. (2009). Agro‐Successional Restoration as a Strategy to Facilitate Tropical Forest Recovery. Restoration Ecology, 17(4), 451-459.
- Vyamana, V.G., Chamshama, S.A.O. & Mugasha, A.G. 2007, "Effect of nursery practices on seedling survival and growth of selected Miombo tree species, Morogoro, Tanzania", Discovery and Innovation, vol. 19 nos. 1&2, pp. 122-138.
- Wassie, A., Sterck, F.J., Teketay, D. and Bongers, F. 2009, "Tree regeneration in church forests of Ethiopia: effects of microsites and management", Biotropica, vol. 41, nos. 1, pp.110-119.
- Yirdaw, E. & Luukkanen, O. 2003, "Indigenous woody species diversity in Eucalyptus globulus Labill spp. globulus plantations in the Ethiopian highlands", Biodiversity and Conservation, vol. 12, nos. 3, pp. 567-582.
- Zanne, A.E. & Chapman, C.A. 2001, "Expediting reforestation in tropical forests grasslands: distance and isolation from seed sources in plantations", Ecological Applications, vol. 11, nos. 6, pp. 1610-1621.
ELTI is a joint initiative of: